As of September 2010, 62% of adult internet users report using a social network site like MySpace or Facebook. Of that group:
- 23% of social networking site users have followed their friends’ personal health experiences or updates on the site. This translates to 11% of all adults.
- 17% have used social network sites to remember or memorialize other people who suffered from a certain health condition.
- 15% have gotten any health information on the sites.
- 14% have raised money for or drawn attention to a health-related issue or cause.
- 11% have posted comments, queries, or information about health or medical matters.
- 9% have started or joined a health-related group on a social networking site.